9 Easy Ways to Refresh Your Living Room Decor
The living room is often the heart of the home, where families gather to relax and spend time together. As a result, it’s important to create a space that is both functional and inviting. However, over time, even the most well-designed living room can start to feel stale and uninspiring. This is where refreshing the decor comes in.
The good news is that refreshing the living room doesn’t have to involve a complete overhaul. Small changes can make a big difference, and there are plenty of easy and affordable ways to give your living room a new look and feel.
In this blog post, we’ll explore nine easy ways to refresh your living room decor. From rearranging the furniture to adding plants, updating lighting, and incorporating storage, there are plenty of simple and effective ways to transform your living room into a space that feels fresh and new. So, whether you’re looking to make a few small changes or embark on a full-blown living room makeover, read on for our top tips and inspiration.
#1. Rearrange the Furniture
One of the easiest and most effective ways to refresh your living room decor is to rearrange the furniture. This simple change can create a whole new layout and perspective, without the need for new purchases or major renovations.
Start by assessing the existing furniture arrangement and identifying any issues or areas for improvement. For example, is the layout functional? Does it create a sense of flow and balance in the space? Are there any awkward or unused areas of the room?
Once you’ve identified any issues, you can start to brainstorm new furniture arrangements that address these problems. Consider moving larger pieces, such as sofas and armchairs, to different areas of the room, or swapping out smaller items, like side tables or floor lamps, for a fresh look.
Here are a few tips for furniture arrangement:
- Create a focal point: Whether it’s a fireplace, TV, or piece of artwork, a focal point can anchor the furniture and create a sense of balance in the room.
- Allow for traffic flow: Make sure there’s enough space between furniture pieces for people to move around the room comfortably.
- Mix and match furniture styles: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different furniture styles and textures for a more eclectic look.
- Play with scale: Experiment with different sizes and shapes of furniture pieces to create visual interest and depth in the room.
Here are a few furniture arrangement examples for different room sizes and shapes:
- Small square room: Place a small sectional sofa in the corner of the room, with a round coffee table in the center. Place a few armchairs along the opposite wall, with a floor lamp in the corner for additional lighting.
- Large rectangular room: Create two seating areas by placing a sofa and two armchairs in one corner of the room, and a second sofa and two additional chairs in the opposite corner. Use a large area rug to tie the two areas together.
- Open-concept space: Use a sectional sofa to divide the space into different zones, such as a living area and a dining area. Place a console table behind the sofa to create a visual separation between the two areas.
Overall, rearranging the furniture is a simple and cost-effective way to refresh your living room decor. With a bit of creativity and experimentation, you can create a whole new look and feel for your space.
#2. Add Plants
Adding plants to your living room decor is a fantastic way to bring a touch of nature indoors and create a more inviting and peaceful atmosphere. Not only do plants add visual interest and texture to the room, but they also have a number of health benefits, including purifying the air and reducing stress levels.
For those who may not have a green thumb or who are worried about the maintenance of plants, there are plenty of low-maintenance options that are perfect for the living room. Some great options include snake plants, peace lilies, and ZZ plants, which require minimal watering and can thrive in low-light conditions.
When it comes to displaying plants in the living room, there are plenty of creative options to consider. Here are a few ideas:
- Use a plant stand: A plant stand can elevate your plants and create a more prominent display in the room.
- Hang plants from the ceiling: Hanging plants can create a unique and eye-catching display, particularly in rooms with high ceilings.
- Group plants together: Grouping several plants together can create a lush and vibrant display, particularly when different sizes, shapes, and textures are combined.
- Incorporate plants into your decor: Consider incorporating plants into your existing decor by using them to fill empty spaces on bookshelves or to add a touch of green to a console table.
Overall, adding plants to your living room decor is an easy and affordable way to refresh the space and create a more calming and inviting atmosphere. Whether you opt for low-maintenance options or more high-maintenance varieties, plants are a fantastic way to bring a touch of nature into your home.
#3. Change the Pillows and Throws
One of the easiest and most budget-friendly ways to refresh your living room decor is to change out your pillows and throws. This simple change can add a pop of color, texture, and visual interest to your space.
When choosing new pillows and throws for your living room, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, consider the existing color scheme and decor in the room. Look for pillows and throws that complement the colors and textures already in the space. If you’re not sure where to start, consider using a color wheel to find complementary colors that will add a pop of contrast to your room.
Next, consider the style of your living room. If you have a more traditional space, opt for pillows and throws with classic patterns and textures, like plaid or herringbone. For a more modern look, consider pillows and throws with geometric patterns or bold colors.
Here are a few examples of different pillow and throw combinations for various styles:
- Traditional: A classic plaid or floral throw paired with a few neutral-colored pillows in a mix of textures, like linen or velvet.
- Bohemian: A mix of brightly colored and patterned throw pillows paired with a few tasseled or fringed throws.
- Minimalist: A few solid-colored pillows in neutral tones, paired with a simple textured throw in a complementary shade.
Overall, changing out your pillows and throws is an easy and affordable way to refresh your living room decor. With so many colors, patterns, and textures to choose from, the possibilities are endless!
#4. Update the Lighting
Lighting is a crucial element of any living room decor, as it can greatly impact the mood and atmosphere of the space. Proper lighting can also highlight the best features of the room and create a more welcoming and comfortable environment.
When it comes to updating the lighting in your living room, there are a few key things to consider. First, think about the primary function of the room. Do you need bright overhead lighting for reading or working, or do you prefer a more relaxed, ambient atmosphere for entertaining or relaxing? Consider the size and layout of the room, as well as the existing decor and color scheme, when choosing new lighting fixtures.
Here are a few examples of different lighting options for different atmospheres:
- Bright and functional: If you need bright overhead lighting for reading or working, consider adding a pendant light or track lighting. These types of fixtures can provide ample light while still adding visual interest to the space.
- Warm and cozy: For a more relaxed and ambient atmosphere, consider adding a few table lamps or floor lamps. These types of fixtures can create a warm and inviting glow, perfect for entertaining or relaxing in the evenings.
- Dramatic and stylish: If you want to make a bold statement with your lighting, consider adding a chandelier or statement pendant light. These types of fixtures can add a touch of drama and style to any living room decor.
Overall, updating the lighting in your living room is an easy and effective way to refresh the space and create the perfect atmosphere for your needs. Whether you opt for functional overhead lighting, warm and cozy lamps, or dramatic statement fixtures, the right lighting can greatly enhance the overall look and feel of your living room.
#5. Hang Artwork
One of the easiest ways to add personality and visual interest to your living room decor is by hanging artwork on the walls. Artwork can be a great way to express your personal style and add a unique touch to the space.
When choosing artwork for your living room, consider the existing color scheme and decor of the room. Look for pieces that complement the colors and textures already in the space, or opt for pieces that add a pop of contrast and visual interest. Keep in mind the size and scale of the artwork, as well as the placement of furniture and other decor elements in the room.
When hanging artwork, there are a few key things to keep in mind. First, consider the placement of the artwork on the wall. Aim to hang artwork at eye level, and consider the placement of furniture and other decor elements in the room when choosing the placement of your artwork. Additionally, consider the arrangement of multiple pieces of artwork on a wall. You can create a cohesive gallery wall by grouping pieces together by color, theme, or size.
Here are a few examples of different artwork arrangements for different styles:
- Eclectic: Mix and match different styles and types of artwork, including photographs, prints, and paintings, to create a visually interesting and eclectic gallery wall.
- Minimalist: Choose a few large-scale pieces of artwork in simple, neutral colors to create a minimalist yet impactful statement on the wall.
- Contemporary: Choose abstract or modern pieces of artwork in bold colors to create a statement-making gallery wall.
Overall, hanging artwork is an easy and effective way to add personality and visual interest to your living room decor. With so many styles and types of artwork to choose from, the possibilities are endless!
#6. Add a Rug
Adding a rug to your living room decor is an easy way to tie the space together and create a more cohesive look. A rug can add texture, color, and warmth to the room, as well as define separate areas within the space.
When choosing a rug for your living room, consider the size and layout of the room, as well as the existing decor and color scheme. A large rug can help anchor the furniture in the room and create a defined seating area, while a smaller rug can be used to add color and texture to a smaller space.
Here are a few tips for choosing the right rug for your living room:
- Consider the texture: Look for rugs with interesting textures, such as shag or woven styles, to add depth and interest to the space.
- Choose the right color: Consider the existing color scheme in the room when choosing a rug. Look for colors that complement the walls and furniture, or opt for a bold contrasting color to make a statement.
- Consider the material: Choose a material that is both durable and comfortable underfoot. Natural fibers such as wool and cotton are great options for a cozy and comfortable rug.
Here are a few examples of different rug options for different styles:
- Bohemian: Look for a colorful, patterned rug with a variety of textures and prints to add a bohemian touch to the space.
- Modern: Choose a simple, geometric rug in a neutral color to create a clean and modern look in the room.
- Traditional: Look for a rug with a classic, ornate pattern in rich, warm colors to add a traditional touch to the space.
Overall, adding a rug to your living room decor is an easy and effective way to tie the space together and create a more inviting and cohesive environment. With so many styles and options to choose from, it’s easy to find the perfect rug to complement your existing decor.
#7. Swap Out Curtains
Swapping out your curtains is an easy way to refresh the look and feel of your living room decor. Curtains not only provide privacy and light control but also add a decorative touch to the space. Choosing the right curtains can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of the room.
When choosing curtains for your living room, consider the style, color, and material. Here are a few tips for choosing the right curtains for your space:
- Style: Consider the overall style of your living room. If your decor is modern, opt for clean, simple curtains with minimal embellishments. For a traditional look, choose curtains with decorative details such as tassels or pleats.
- Color: Choose a color that complements the existing color scheme of your living room. Neutral colors such as white or beige are versatile and can work with any decor. If you want to add a pop of color, choose curtains in a bold or bright hue.
- Material: Consider the material of the curtains, as it can affect the overall look and feel of the space. For a cozy and inviting feel, choose curtains made of soft and textured fabrics such as velvet or linen. For a more formal look, choose curtains made of silk or satin.
Here are a few examples of different curtain options for different styles:
- Bohemian: Choose curtains with a colorful and bold pattern, such as paisley or floral. Look for curtains made of lightweight fabrics such as cotton or linen to add a casual and relaxed feel to the space.
- Modern: Opt for simple and minimalist curtains in neutral colors such as white or gray. Look for curtains made of sheer or lightweight fabrics to create a clean and airy feel in the room.
- Traditional: Choose curtains with a classic pattern such as stripes or damask. Look for curtains made of heavier fabrics such as velvet or silk to add a formal and elegant touch to the space.
Swapping out your curtains is an easy and affordable way to refresh your living room decor. With so many styles and options available, it’s easy to find the perfect curtains to complement your existing decor and create a more inviting and stylish space.
#8. Incorporate Storage
Storage is a crucial element of any living room decor. It helps keep the space organized and clutter-free while also providing a functional and stylish solution for storing items such as books, magazines, and remote controls. Incorporating storage into your living room decor is an easy way to create a more organized and efficient space.
Here are a few tips for incorporating storage into your living room decor:
- Choose furniture with built-in storage: Look for coffee tables, ottomans, and sofas with built-in storage options such as drawers or compartments. This will help you maximize space while also keeping items hidden from view.
- Use shelving: Install shelves on the walls to display decorative items and store books and other items. This not only provides additional storage but also adds visual interest to the room.
- Utilize baskets and bins: Use baskets and bins to store items such as blankets, pillows, and toys. This not only helps keep the space organized but also adds texture and visual interest to the room.
Here are a few examples of different storage options for different styles:
- Contemporary: Look for sleek and modern storage options such as a wall-mounted shelving unit or a low-profile media console.
- Rustic: Choose storage options made of natural materials such as wood or wicker. Look for a storage bench with a rustic finish or a set of wooden crates to store items.
- Minimalist: Opt for streamlined storage options such as a floating shelf or a modular storage system. Keep the storage items hidden from view for a clean and clutter-free look.
Incorporating storage into your living room decor not only helps keep the space organized but also adds a functional and stylish solution for storing items. With so many options available, it’s easy to find the perfect storage solutions to complement your existing decor and create a more inviting and functional space.
#9. Declutter and Simplify
Decluttering and simplifying your living room decor is an essential step to creating a more calming and inviting space. Not only does it help you stay organized, but it also allows you to focus on the items you truly love and value. Here are some benefits of decluttering and simplifying your living room:
- Less stress: A cluttered space can make you feel overwhelmed and anxious. By decluttering and simplifying your living room, you’ll be able to create a more peaceful and stress-free environment.
- More space: Removing unnecessary items from your living room will create more space and help the room feel more open and airy.
- More focus: Simplifying your living room decor will help you focus on the items you truly value and love. You’ll be able to appreciate the items in your living room more when they’re not surrounded by clutter.
Here are some tips for decluttering and simplifying your living room:
- Start small: Begin by decluttering one area of your living room at a time. For example, start with your coffee table or bookshelf.
- Get rid of duplicates: If you have multiple items that serve the same purpose, consider getting rid of one or two of them.
- Donate or sell items: If you have items that you no longer need or use, donate or sell them. This will not only help you declutter your space but also benefit others.
Here are some examples of minimalist living room decor:
- White walls and minimal furniture: A minimalist living room can be achieved with simple white walls and minimal furniture. A sleek sofa, coffee table, and a few carefully chosen decor items are all you need to create a minimalist look.
- Natural materials: Incorporating natural materials such as wood and stone into your living room decor can create a minimalist yet cozy vibe.
- Simple color palette: A simple color palette of black, white, and gray can create a clean and modern minimalist look.
In conclusion, refreshing your living room decor doesn’t have to be a daunting or expensive task. By incorporating small changes and updates, you can transform your living room into a space that feels new and inviting. Here are the nine easy ways we’ve discussed:
- Rearrange the Furniture
- Add Plants
- Change the Pillows and Throws
- Update the Lighting
- Hang Artwork
- Add a Rug
- Swap Out Curtains
- Incorporate Storage
- Declutter and Simplify
Remember, each of these changes can make a big impact on the overall look and feel of your living room. By following the tips and examples we’ve provided, you can refresh your living room decor in no time. So, take some time to assess your living room and decide which of these easy updates will work best for you. With a little creativity and effort, you can create a living room that is both beautiful and functional.